Pirates of the Caribbean | Reaction


1. The Pirates of the Caribbean ride was really immersive; especially all of the parts that were underwater. I think the projection mapping and the fact that it was a dark ride really carried this ride to the next level. Like, as soon as Jack Sparrow was shown to have gone from a skeleton to his human form that really set the bar for the rest of the ride and it did not disappoint. The sound design as well really made it feel like you were underwater, and the characters felt like they were real. They had real personality, a personal history, and continued their conversations even after the people on the ride were well past them; because they had something to say. 

2. What I felt I was able to connect with the most would be all of the underwater bits of the ride. I loved being able to travel underneath wreckages of ships long sunk and covered in barnacles and corals. It really made me feel immersed, like I was traveling through a cave. It had that right amount of light and dampness that I've experiences in real caves. Without even being there I could tell the temperature would be cool, just from the use of lighting and sounds.

3. If I had to adapt the work to another medium I would probably go with what is the second best contender, VR. I would bring the whole ride into VR and still make it a ride on a track. However, in VR there is no "physical" limitations to what can and cannot be done. So all of the sections that had static skeletons would actually be able to be animated. And there wouldn't be any reason to have flat screens that are projecting a scene in the ride, instead the scene could be playing out right in front of someone. To add to that since it's VR there is no risk of harming someone. So I would add elements to the ride that interact more closely with the audience. Maybe your on a raft with a bunch of other pirates that are undead and a cannon ball hits them in the head and lands on the viewers lap? What if the kraken actually came and tried to topple the boat. Overall I would make the person on the ride a much more active participant in the ride than just a passerby that is just viewing the content.

Comments